Many readers desire to try audiobooks, but the variety of options available today might be intimidating. We’ll guide you through a few well-liked options today.
Other audiobook services have some distinctive advantages, such as a superior free trial, no monthly costs, the assistance of your neighborhood bookshop, the capacity to borrow top-notch audiobooks without charge, and much more.
What is the most effective Audible alternative? In order to help you choose the audiobook service that’s right for you, we’ve reviewed some of our favorite Audible alternatives in this guide.
Why is there a need for an audible alternative?
Even if print and e-books are less expensive than audiobooks, the convenience of audiobooks is one of their main advantages. The majority of people are unable to read when multitasking. However, listening while multitasking is considerably simpler.
Best Audible Alternative
Here are the top audiobook service providers you can choose from.
The Android app (Chirp Audiobooks) by Chirp Books, a company that has been active since 2018, is available on Google Play. In the “Books & Reference” category, Chirp Audiobooks is listed.
It has a high ranking in at least one nation and ranks among the top apps on Google Play with more than 100,000 downloads making it one of the best Audible alternatives.
- Chirp will give you a daily email with the greatest audiobook offers for you, customized to your tastes.
- Although many best-sellers may be found at any time, even if they aren’t a part of a highlighted sale, it’s perfect for readers and listeners who wish to browse fantastic deals on audiobooks.
- It actually depends on what you’re looking for, but Chirp can frequently be less expensive than Audible.
- Every day, Chirp gives customers a brand-new selection of time-limited audiobook discounts that they may buy à la carte directly from the website.
For individuals who want a deal but don’t want to pay a monthly subscription cost, Chirp Audiobooks is ideal. All limited-time offers cost $5 or less or less regularly. You might expect discounts of a few bucks on top titles.
Chirp Audiobooks can be listened to on computers, smartphones, and Alexa devices as well as through web browsers.
Pricing- pay per use
Google Play Books
Google Play books are ignored by most people. Although it’s come pre-installed with google package apps on multiple android devices. Playbooks are a growing library with a million ebooks, comics, and audiobooks and google is trying hard to make it the most popular app for all book lovers.
The best thing about the app is it’s made by Google. Like all Google apps, you’re using whether it’s Gmaps, YouTube, calendar, and many others. Its UI is also great, simple to use, and beautiful. It also works seamlessly on all android and iOS devices no matter how old the smartphone you’re using.
Google didn’t have any subscription plans for their Playbooks. So, you have to buy every audiobook separately from their platforms. However, there are lots of free, most popular audiobooks available too. If you don’t find your favorite audiobook in the free section you can buy it, mostly their audiobooks are at a heavy discount. You can also use your Google rewards money to buy those audiobooks.
Libby has an audiobook player that is similar to Audible’s and has a pleasant, user-friendly layout. You can alter the playback speed, set a sleep timer, fast-forward or rewind a few seconds, add a bookmark, and view chapters.
You can download books to listen to them offline, just like Audible, making it a great Audible alternative.
- With Wi-Fi or mobile data, you can stream titles; alternatively, you can download them for offline reading wherever you are.
- Libby collaborates with overDrive-enabled public libraries.
- In the most current Libby update, gems were introduced. While immediately providing useful information and actions like renewing or returning titles early, these gems organize your shelf.
- Recognize where you are in your reading and your loan situation.
Even so, Libby is essentially cost-free (technically, you pay taxes for your library), making it an excellent Audible alternative, if you live in a community with a robust local library and don’t mind waiting for books to become available for checkout.
Pricing- free subscription
Hoopla is cloud-based, so you can explore and rent a title using a web browser, start listening to it on a tablet, and finish it on a smartphone while driving.
Around 250,000 music, 10,000 TV series, movies, and audiobooks are available on Hoopla, and more are constantly being added.
Only patrons of public libraries in cities that sign up can use the Hoopla service, and there may be restrictions on how much you can borrow.
- Hoopla syncs across all of your devices, allowing you to stream movies right away or whenever the mood strikes.
- The majority of books can also be downloaded to a tablet or phone.
- Unlike other digital library platforms, hoopla provides more content in more locations for FREE courtesy to your local public library.
- Hoopla is an affordable alternative to Audible designed for anyone who wishes to listen to high-quality audiobooks without having to spend a lot of money.
Available platforms include iOS, Android, Amazon, Chromecast, Apple TV, and Android TV.
Pricing- pay-per-use, Free sign up
In 1986, Steve Potash established OverDrive. Through the 1990s, as the potential of the internet and electronic books expanded, we refocused our objective. In 2000, OverDrive introduced its content distribution service, and since then, it has significantly increased its scope.
OverDrive now provides the largest digital content catalog in the world to over 81,000 libraries and schools in 106 countries along with the highest-rated apps that are designed to promote reading happiness. This is in addition to being the industry’s leading digital reading platform.
- Your favorite audiobooks can be listened to for free through Overdrive if you are a student or a legitimate member of a supported library.
- change your playback speed, add bookmarks, set a sleep timer, and make notes and highlights
- Additionally, you can manually add or remove titles from your history. You may, for instance, add a print book you’ve read or take out an unfinished audiobook.
- It is available on iOS, Android, Windows, macOS, Chromebook, Kindle Fire HD, and Chrome Web Store.
One million volumes are available through the American e-book and audiobook subscription service Scribd. 60 million documents are hosted by Scribd on its open publishing platform.
With just one payment, Scribd gives you access to millions of ebooks, audiobooks, periodicals, podcasts, and other media, making it one of the best Audible alternatives.
- You can download books for offline reading, create bookmarks, and perform the majority of other actions available in other reading programs.
- Audiobooks, digital books, and much more are all available in one location.
- Similar to Audible, Scribd enables you to download audiobooks so you can enjoy your favorite books even when you’re not connected to the internet.
- It is available on Android, iOS, and the Web.
Pricing-$9.99/month with a 30-day free trial
Related Topic: Is Scribd Safe and Legit?
Spotify is the best app for streaming music online. There is also a separate section for audiobooks and podcasts where you can stream thousands of audiobooks from the app. We know it didn’t compete with audible and other apps from this list.
However, their service is still used by many people. There you can listen to lots of different classics. Although, there is some drawback to using Spotify as an audiobook app alternative too. After buying their plans you still find ads on their audiobooks plus there is not a big collection of audiobooks and you didn’t go to get new audiobooks either.
Still, if you’re already using Spotify as your daily driver for listening to music and podcasts then you might give it a chance before buying other audiobook platforms plans.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the benefit of having Audible?
You may get all kinds of incredible discounts and benefits with a Premium Plus membership, such as a 30% discount on additional audiobook purchases, 2-for-1 offers, and access to special sweepstakes. Additionally, you receive access to the Audible Daily bargain, which offers members a special price on a featured audiobook. Every day, the bargain is different.
Why are some books not on Audible?
You’ll see all of the titles we provide if you visit the audible website while not signed in. But the listing might alter once you log in. This is due to the website’s ability to identify your location after you log in and display the appropriate selection of available audiobooks.
Why are audiobooks so important?
The Audio Publishers Association claims that listening to audiobooks can improve critical literacy abilities such as fluency, vocabulary, language learning, pronunciation, phonemic awareness, and comprehension, which are frequently associated with higher reading test scores.
As you can see, there are numerous excellent Audible choices. But which Audiblealternative is the most effective? Since each audiobook service has something different to offer, it depends on what you value most.
According to us, chirp is the best audible alternative as Chirp offers affordable audiobook discounts.
Using our exclusive Chirp promo code, you can save an extra 30% off the already discounted pricing with your first purchase: AUDIOBOOKADDICTS30.